The County-wide Policy Plan for El Paso
County establishes broad goals and policies which are intended
to serve as a framework for decision making regarding the development
of the County.
It is the intent of the Oversight Committee
that the Plan will:
- Be consistent with and mutually supportive
of existing and future Small-Area Plans and topical elements
of the County Master Plan.
- Provide a balance between protection
of the environment within the County and the growth which occurs
as part of a healthy economy.
- Balance development, property
rights and preservation of natural resources
- Provide a framework for development
patterns specific enough to provide some certainty for cost-effective,
long-term planning, yet flexible enough to accommodate changing
- Address growth assumptions through
the year 2020.
- Be fiscally responsible in identifying
sources of public funding, addressing short- and long-term costs
of development alternatives, and providing for equitable allocation
of direct and indirect costs.
- Be an action-oriented document
which prescribes a series of recommendations
- leading to the implementation of the adopted
goals and policies.
- Include a mechanism for periodic
evaluation of the Plans effectiveness.
- Be widely used as a reflection
of community goals, perspectives and priorities.
- Recognize the regions
unique physical features and environment and their contributions
to the character of the area.